John R. BashawStockholder
John identifies environmental risks to clients contemplating brownfield sales, acquisitions and leases. Relying on more than 30 years of experience, John aims to direct clients towards options that have historically minimized risks and costs. He coordinates his work with industry professionals as needed, including insurance companies and environmental consultants.
John understands that deal attributes such as risk tolerance, levels of contamination, and financing can vary widely and, therefore that assembling the optimum deal requires knowledge, communication, drafting and negotiation skills, which John brings to every deal. To better serve clients, John takes a comprehensive approach and familiarizes himself with the details of each transaction and makes sure to explain both the possible options and the attendant risks. For example, he not only identifies required permits, but he also assists with permit applications and works with clients to address compliance issues.
In addition, John’s experience allows him to be able to assess the likelihood of different outcomes in administrative hearings and court proceedings and to convey risks and benefits to his clients. John prides himself on being able to fashion a legal strategy that is economical and specific to each client’s needs.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Connecticut Bar Association, Conservation & Environmental Quality Section
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Environmental Professionals’ Organization of Connecticut
- Connecticut Environmental Forum
- American Chemical Society
- Real Estate Finance Association of Connecticut (REFA)
- Connecticut Power and Energy Society
- Connecticut Veterans Legal Center
- Board of Directors, Member (2009-2016)
- Board of Directors, President (2014)
- Waterford Connecticut Planning and Zoning Commission, Member (2017 – present)