John R. BashawStockholder
John R. BashawStockholder
John understands that deal attributes such as risk tolerance, levels of contamination, and financing can vary widely and, therefore that assembling the optimum deal requires knowledge, communication, drafting and negotiation skills, which John brings to every deal.
John identifies environmental risks to clients contemplating brownfield sales, acquisitions and leases. Relying on more than 30 years of experience, John aims to direct clients towards options that have historically minimized risks and costs. He coordinates his work with industry professionals as needed, including insurance companies and environmental consultants.
John understands that deal attributes such as risk tolerance, levels of contamination, and financing can vary widely and, therefore that assembling the optimum deal requires knowledge, communication, drafting and negotiation skills, which John brings to every deal. To better serve clients, John takes a comprehensive approach and familiarizes himself with the details of each transaction and makes sure to explain both the possible options and the attendant risks. For example, he not only identifies required permits, but he also assists with permit applications and works with clients to address compliance issues.
In addition, John’s experience allows him to be able to assess the likelihood of different outcomes in administrative hearings and court proceedings and to convey risks and benefits to his clients. John prides himself on being able to fashion a legal strategy that is economical and specific to each client’s needs.
- Represented a large publicly-traded petroleum company in the acquisition and sale of over $100 million of single and multiple retail gasoline and convenience stores, and the leasing of such locations.
- Represented a national wireless carrier in the review of environmental reports resulting in site modification recommendations to minimize potential environmental harm for over 200 new cell locations, including new towers and rooftop locations.
- Assisted a nonprofit client with the acquisition of a brownfield site, including obtaining state grants and low-interest loans for the investigation and remediation of contamination, and reviewing and negotiating contracts with subcontractors performing environmental work.
- Litigated a case involving a $4 million real property tax assessment, where, after multiple days of appraisal expert testimony, the court rendered a judgment accepting in full the client’s appraisal of the property value, saving the client over $100,000 in taxes over five years.
- Successfully defended the owner of a large office tower against claims by the State Department of Health and the DEEP that renovation activities violated asbestos regulations.
- Advised international wind energy company on issues of Connecticut law affecting the development of a major wind power project in New London, Connecticut.
- Assisted buyer of former tire burning facility in obtaining regulatory approvals for the demolition of prior contaminated structures and redevelopment of the property for potential wind, solar or battery energy use.
- Regularly represents clients in appeals of real property tax assessments by Connecticut municipalities.
- Represents numerous clients that are interested in the purchase and development of brownfield properties.
- Assists in-house counsel with numerous environmental matters, including the drafting of environmental terms and conditions in transaction documents, the investigation of releases, the remediation of historic contamination, and compliance with state, federal and local regulations.
- Environmental Matters
- Health & Human Services
- State of Connecticut
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- Vermont Law School, J.D. (magna cum laude)
- University of Vermont, B.S.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Connecticut Bar Association, Conservation & Environmental Quality Section
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Environmental Professionals’ Organization of Connecticut
- Connecticut Environmental Forum
- Connecticut Power and Energy Society
- Connecticut Veterans Legal Center
- Board of Directors, Member (2009-2016)
- Board of Directors, President (2014)
- Waterford Connecticut Planning and Zoning Commission, Member (2017 – present)
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America® for Energy Law, Environmental Law and Litigation - Environmental (2006-2011, 2018-2023)
- Connecticut Super Lawyers® for Environmental (2007-2022)
- Chambers USA for Environment - Connecticut (2007-2010, 2016-2018, 2021-2022)
Publications & Speaking Engagements
John has been a speaker on topics including nanomaterials, environmental issues, environmental audits, and real property transactions.
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2022 Connecticut Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars®
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2023 Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America™
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2021 Connecticut Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars®
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2022 Best Lawyers in America®
- Environmental Matters Alert - CT DEEP Changes Environmental Land Use Restrictions Process
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2020 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Environmental Matters Alert - Changes to the Connecticut Transfer Act
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2021 Best Lawyers in America®
- COVID-19 Webinar: Preparing A Return To Workplace Plan - Major Elements of a Plan and Relevant Federal and State Guidelines
- COVID-19 Webinar Series: Open for Business: Preparing for a Successful Reopening Strategy
- COVID-19 Webinar: Are you Ready to Open in this New World?
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2019 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2020 Best Lawyers in America®
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2019 Best Lawyers in America®
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2018 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2017 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2018 Best Lawyers in America®
- Reid and Riege Presents a Breakfast Briefing Program: Is it Time to Consider Solar Energy for My Business?
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2016 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- John Bashaw and Mary Mintel Miller Author Article in American Bar Association Environmental Litigation Newsletter
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2015 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- John Bashaw and Mary Miller Present at Seminar: Unseen Challenges in Regulating Nanomaterials