Karen L. BrandCounsel
Karen helps owners and managers of closely held businesses navigate the variety of legal needs that arise in the formation and operation of a business. For start-up ventures, Karen advises on ownership structure, business governance and ownership changes. For clients who are established businesses, Karen negotiates significant business contracts, advises on employment issues, and assists with business acquisitions and equity financing and investment transactions. When a business owner is ready to consider transition planning and achieve liquidity, Karen helps plan for succession and manages the business sale from start to finish.
- Represented a private investment company in ongoing business operations and in many equity investments.
- Represented a privately held accounting practice in ongoing business operations, ownership changes, and the sale of the business to a nationally recognized public accounting practice.
- Represented a privately owned investment management and wealth management practice in a sale to a nationally recognized wealth management firm.
- Represented a privately owned real estate investment advisor in a sale to a nationally recognized retail real estate advisory firm.
- Represented an innovative Connecticut beverage company in ongoing business operations and financing transactions, including substantial equity and loan financing transactions with a Connecticut strategic venture capital arm that provides financing for innovative Connecticut companies, a philanthropic organization that supports local businesses, and a world-wide juice producer.
- Represented a custom automation assembly company in the negotiation of multi-million dollar customer contracts for the design and production of a custom assembly machine.
- Represented an innovative start-up in its organization and negotiation of a representative agreement and a partnership agreement with a strategic industry partner.
- Represented the owner of a home medical and healthcare equipment business in the sale of the business to his partner.
- Represented the owner of an architectural business in the sale of the business to his existing business partners.
- Represented an individual investor in the investment and reorganization of a high-end flooring business.
- Represented a Connecticut manufacturer of fluid control products in the acquisition of a specialty pump business line.
- State of Connecticut
- Duke University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Florida, B.A. (Phi Beta Kappa)
Professional & Community Involvement
- Connecticut Bar Association, Business Law and Labor & Employment Law Sections
- American Bar Association, Business Law and Labor & Employment Law Sections
- Exit Planning Exchange
- USA 500 Club
- Simsbury Land Trust, Board of Trustees (2003 - present)
- Aurora Foundation for Women and Girls
- Connecticut Women’s Council
- Mercy Housing and Shelter Corporation, Board of Trustees (2003-2009)