Mark X. RyanStockholder
Mark is a business advisor who concentrates on transactional work, particularly representing clients who are regular purchasers of businesses, or those who are engaging in the once in a lifetime sale of a business. With 30 years and many hundreds of transactions of experience, there is little he has not seen, but the crux of this work is in understanding that every transaction is different and of unique importance to the parties involved. To obtain successful outcomes, Mark focuses on understanding clients’ goals and needs, and the pressure points most likely to arise. Mark brings intelligence and good humor to his interactions with clients, their advisors, and the rest of his team.
Mark serves as the primary legal counsel to manufacturers, distributors, professional and other service providers, investors and nonprofits. He believes in the importance of knowing clients well – ownership, management, mission, business and culture. No legal solution is optimal without that grounding.
Mark advises on structuring, negotiating and closing business mergers, acquisitions and sales; joint ventures; financings; new business formations; ownership and management succession planning; buy-sell arrangements; ownership disputes; corporate governance; executive employment arrangements; contract negotiation; employment issues; and other matters related to owning, investing in, and operating for-profit and nonprofit businesses.
- Advised one of Connecticut’s best-known manufacturers, a third generation family-owned business, through a successful auction process and ultimate sale to a multi-national corporation. This included assistance in identifying and selecting a financial advisor, working with the company and that financial advisor to identify the winning bidder, successfully structuring the form of transaction, and then negotiating and closing the transaction.
- Represented two specialty insurance agencies in jointly selling their businesses to a private equity sponsored strategic acquirer.
- Serves as lead corporate, acquisitions and financing counsel to Connecticut’s largest solid-waste management business.
- Serves as lead corporate and acquisitions counsel to one of the nation’s largest machine tool distributors, recently assisting in ownership and management succession planning, business acquisitions, and real estate acquisitions.
- Serves as lead corporate and acquisitions counsel to one of the region’s largest construction and industrial supply businesses, including recently successfully negotiating and closing two acquisitions in a three month period to expand the client’s geographic reach.
- Regularly assists manufacturers, distributors, and professional and other service providers in connection with ownership structuring, buy-sell arrangements, and ownership disputes.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Hartford County Bar Association, Corporations Committee, Co-Chair
- Connecticut Bar Association, Corporations and Antitrust Sections
- American Bar Association, Business Law and Antitrust Sections
- Connecticut Cancer Foundation, Inc., Advisory Board (2013 – Present)
- Xavier High School, Board of Directors (2014 – Present), Vice Chair (2014 – Present)
Honors & Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated
- Connecticut Cancer Foundation Humanitarian of the Year (2012)
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Mark has been a panelist for state and national merger and acquisition seminars.
- COVID-19 Webinar Series: Open for Business: Preparing for a Successful Reopening Strategy
- Mark Ryan Presents at Seminar: Choosing an Entity for a New Business
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Attend TAGLaw International Legal Conference in Boston
- Bob Mulé and Mark Ryan Present at Seminar: TAGLaw International Conference