John Paul CallahanStockholder
JP prepares estate planning documents tailored to the needs of each client. Clients rely on him to navigate through the estate and tax planning rules to advise and guide on trust administration matters and assist in the transfer of wealth from one generation to the next. JP’s background working with tax-exempt organizations and closely held businesses helps him assist clients with the philanthropic and business succession aspects of their estate plan.
When establishing an estate plan, clients look to JP to draw upon his business law background to integrate business succession plans within their larger estate plans. This often includes designing, negotiating and funding buy-sell agreements for multi-generation family businesses. JP frequently works with families of closely held businesses on trust administration, transfer of wealth between generations, and compliance with corporate and tax rules for trust ownership of their business interests.
JP strives to provide responsive and practical advice. He takes a holistic view to estate planning knowing that each client has different goals and no estate plan is the same. The result is an estate plan that is comprehensive and that appropriately balances the tax objectives, family circumstances, and ultimate goals of the client.
- Represented the executor and third generation family member of a closely held business in the transition of business interests and family wealth to the next generation.
- Represented corporate and individual trustees on trust administration matters, including tax compliance and related probate court proceedings.
- Represented a manufacturing company in the sale of its business to a multi-national strategic buyer.
- Estate Planning & Settlement
- Trust & Wealth Management
- Nonprofit Organizations
- State of Connecticut
- Western New England University School of Law, J.D. (magna cum laude)
- Western New England University, B.S. (summa cum laude)
Professional & Community Involvement
- Connecticut Bar Association
- World Affairs Council of Connecticut, Inc., Board of Directors
Honors & Awards
While at Western New England University School of Law, JP was a competitor in the National Moot Court Competition. His honors include the Henry Downey Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Law Review and the CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Business Organizations, Business Succession Planning, Income Tax II, Evidence, Family Law, and Constitutional Law.
- Reid and Riege Announces Attorney Promotion and Recent Additions
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2020 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- John Paul Callahan Presents at Seminar: Estate Planning - Preparedness Strategies
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2019 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Individual Clients Group Newsletter - Tax and Estate Planning Update (Spring 2018)
- John Paul Callahan Participates in Webinar: Making the Switch - Converting Your Nonprofit into a For-Profit
- John Paul Callahan Presents at Seminar: Not-for-Profit Organizations Conference
- Tax Law Alert - The Connecticut Entity Transactions Act
- Reid and Riege Announces A New Attorney Has Joined the Firm