Mary Mintel MillerStockholder
Mary protects property in all of its many forms. Her varied skillset and wide range of experience enables her to assist clients whenever their property rights are impacted.
For some clients, Mary is an intellectual property attorney. She advises clients on matters related to copyright, trademark, patent and trade secret law. To facilitate clients’ goals, Mary negotiates licensing agreements, services agreements, joint venture agreements, and nondisclosure agreements. To protect clients’ interests, Mary attains copyright and trademark registrations, sends and responds to demand letters, and litigates copyright, trademark and patent infringement actions in federal court.
But, for others, Mary is a real property and land use attorney. She represents property owners in quiet title, trespass and nuisance actions, as well as property managers embroiled in disputes with tenants. She opposes municipal and state agencies in order to ensure that clients’ property is not wrongfully taken, and that their approvals, permits and licenses are properly issued.
And, for many, Mary is an environmental attorney. Using the skills that she developed as a biologist, Mary reviews environmental analyses and negotiates environmental sections of clients’ leases and purchase and sale agreements. She represents her clients’ environmental and property interests in administrative, state, and federal actions, some of which have included Connecticut Supreme Court appeals.
For all clients, Mary uses strategic planning and protective agreements to minimize litigation risks, but when those two methods are not enough, she advances clients’ interests through litigation. Her goal is to always keep clients’ best interests in mind, regardless of which property rights they are striving to protect.
In addition to her position at Reid and Riege, Mary has served as an adjunct faculty professor at the University of Connecticut School of Law since 2020, where she teaches her students how to protect the property rights of new entrepreneurs.
- Attained a favorable judgment on behalf of a manufacturing company from the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Defended a transportation company against a patent infringement claim and negotiated its favorable resolution.
- Successfully defended a software copyright infringement claim through a Federal bench trial and judgment.
- Brought and negotiated the favorable resolution of a trademark infringement suit on behalf of an international corporation.
- Attained trademark and copyright registrations for a wide variety of clients from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and U.S. Copyright Office.
- Assisted a variety of nonprofit organizations in developing their intellectual property strategies.
- Defended and negotiated the favorable resolution of a hazardous waste enforcement action brought by the Environmental Protection Agency against a multi-state manufacturing operation.
- Argued a case of first impression to the Connecticut Supreme Court concerning the expansion of easements by necessity, which clarified decades of conflicting jurisprudence.
- Successfully represented the interests of an intervenor to a Connecticut Siting Council hearing concerning an application to construct a large gas-fired power plant.
- Filed and negotiated the favorable resolution of an action under the Connecticut Environmental Policy Act and the Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Act.
- Environmental Matters
- Intellectual Property
- Health & Human Services
- State of Connecticut
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Supreme Court
- William & Mary Law School, J.D.
- Swarthmore College, B.A. (Biology and English Literature)
Professional & Community Involvement
- Society for Women Environmental Professionals (SWEP), Connecticut Chapter, Co-Chair
- New England Women in Energy and the Environment
- The Judge Janet Bond Arterton American Inn of Court
- American Bar Association, Environmental Litigation Committee Member
- Connecticut Italian American Bar Association
- New Haven County Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers Connecticut Rising Star® for Environmental Law (2015-2017) and Intellectual Property (2018-2022)
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- “Commercial Leases and Environmental Due Diligence,” Connecticut Bar Association (March 6, 2018)
- “Is it Time to Consider Solar Energy for My Business?” Reid & Riege Breakfast Program (June 21, 2017)
- “Real Estate Transactions From A to Z,” National Business Institute (April 4, 2017)
- “Has the Responsible Corporate Officer Killed the LLC?” American Bar Association Environmental Litigation Newsletter (Winter 2016)
- “Unseen Challenges in Regulating Nanomaterials,” Connecticut Chapter of the Academy of Hazardous Materials Managers (March 26, 2015)
- “Remediation Obligations Create Confusing Environment,” Connecticut Law Tribune (May 5, 2014)
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2022 Connecticut Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars®
- Reid and Riege Wins Land Use Case in Connecticut Appellate Court
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2021 Connecticut Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars®
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2020 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2019 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2018 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Mary Miller Presents at Seminar: Intellectual Property - Are Your Assets Protected?
- Tom Kasper and Mary Miller Present at Seminar: Commercial Leases and Environmental Due Diligence
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2017 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Reid and Riege Presents a Breakfast Briefing Program: Is it Time to Consider Solar Energy for My Business?
- Mary Miller Presents at Seminar: Real Estate Transactions From A to Z
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2016 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- John Bashaw and Mary Mintel Miller Author Article in American Bar Association Environmental Litigation Newsletter
- Reid and Riege Attorneys Recognized as 2015 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- John Bashaw and Mary Miller Present at Seminar: Unseen Challenges in Regulating Nanomaterials
- Mary Miller Selected as Moot Court Judge