The White Collar Defense & Government Investigations practice advises businesses and individuals on a wide range of matters involving governmental authorities.
Our attorneys, who include a former prosecutor from the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Connecticut, bring a breadth of practical experience and credibility to the interaction with federal and state officials. We represent clients in connection with regulatory, civil and criminal investigations and prosecutions, by both federal and state authorities. We vigorously represent our clients in all phases of an investigation, including subpoena compliance and grand jury inquiries, always striving to avoid formal charges. If charges are brought, we vigorously defend our clients in pre-trial litigation and negotiation, and ultimately trial if necessary. When a government investigation, internal compliance effort or whistleblower raises the possibility of wrongdoing by a client, or an employee of a client, our attorneys assist in structuring and conducting internal investigations, and counsel our clients in regard to a wide range of compliance and regulatory options and issues. The goal is to minimize governmental scrutiny of our clients, and deal with any investigation in an effective, efficient and discreet manner. We provide these services, in conjunction with the expertise of many other Reid and Riege business practices, in such areas as health care, securities fraud, financial fraud, public corruption, environmental compliance, antitrust and tax. The following are some of our representative areas of practice:
Financial Fraud, Government Program Fraud & Corruption
We represent individuals and companies in a broad spectrum of investigations, by both federal and state agencies, and actions prosecuted by the United States Attorney’s Office and state prosecutors. We represent clients in both criminal and regulatory actions under the federal and state False Claims Acts. We represent government officials in corruption and campaign finance investigations. With increasing fines and penalties, and the enhanced government focus on individuals, the stakes are high.
Health Care Enforcement Defense
Reid and Riege, with its strong health care and government enforcement attorneys, has assisted many health care professionals, practices, and organizations in navigating the risks of health care regulations and enforcement, and defended many in criminal and regulatory matters when necessary.
State and federal regulators have stepped up their enforcement of health care rules, and sharpened their focus on individuals. The increase in regulation and the occurrence of data breaches have made compliance with HIPAA and state statutes regarding health and personal information critical. Reid and Riege has successfully counseled many clients in regard to these issues, and successfully defended doctors, physicians, physician practices, and health care facilities when investigations arise.
Securities Enforcement Defense
Reid and Riege has represented many individuals and financial companies in connection with securities investigations and enforcement actions. This representation ranges from assisting with SEC and DOJ inquiries and subpoenas, to assisting in complex investigations and trials.
Private companies, nonprofit organizations and government entities often face claims or concerns of wrongdoing by organizations, employees, or their agents. Reid and Riege conducts internal investigations on behalf of organizations facing such issues, and also represents individuals who may be witnesses or subjects of such investigations.
- Represented several companies in responding to federal agencies’ investigative subpoenas and investigations and grand jury subpoenas issued as part of investigations by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Connecticut.
- Represented individual company officers in investigation alleging Federal Program Fraud and False Claims Act violations, with no criminal or civil charges being brought. Successfully reduced proposed period of program debarment.
- Represented Connecticut manufacturer after execution of search warrant on its premises and grand jury investigation of alleged false claims relating to defective product and campaign finance violations. No criminal charges brought, reasonable civil resolution.
- Represented bankruptcy trustee in fraud prosecution.
- Represented individuals in criminal investigations by the Internal Revenue Service, with no charges being brought against the clients.
- Represented employer in successful resolution of State Department of Labor litigation for alleged unpaid sales commissions.
- Represented individual in successful return of multi-million dollar asset seized as stolen property in State investigation, and rejection of any criminal charges against individual.
- Represented Connecticut legislative staffers in investigation by U.S. Department of Justice for campaign finance violations, with no actions being taken against clients.
- Represented physician practice in false claims, kickback and Stark investigation, with no criminal charges being instituted and a reasonable over-payment resolution.
- Represented physician practices in response to Department of Health and Human Services-Office of Inspector General subpoenas with no adverse action.
- Represented hospital in pursuing claims for reimbursement of unpaid claims, instituted arbitration, and reached favorable settlement.
- Represented individual corporate officer in Connecticut Attorney General False Claims Act investigation of home health care provider with no criminal or civil action taken against individual.
- Represented nonprofit hospital in the successful transfer of charitable assets to purchasing nonprofit.
- Represented several individuals in Securities and Exchange Commission enforcement proceedings, with no adverse actions.
- Represented financial services company in several investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission, U.S. Department of Labor, and state attorney general offices, with no action brought against the client.
- Assisted as local counsel in representation of RMBS bond trader in six-week criminal trial on charges of securities fraud and wire fraud by the United States Attorney’s Office, for District of Connecticut, resulting in acquittal on eight of nine counts, and no verdict on remaining count.
- Conducted an internal investigation for local health care business regarding alleged abusive conduct by its chief executive officer.
- Conducted an internal investigation of police department in response to allegations of unreasonable force and failure to discipline police officer.
- Conducted an internal investigation of a municipal agency in response to claims of nepotism and unfair benefits to agency family members.
- Represented several faculty members and administration as part of independent school investigation of improper conduct. Negotiated favorable dispositions.